This privacy notice lets you know what happens to any personal data that you provide to The Sulphur Institute. This privacy notice applies to personal information processed by The Sulphur Institute. We will not employ third parties to process your personal information other than TSI contracted service providers, Potomac Digitek or Capitol Computer Exchange, for the purposes of web hosting and email service.
Changes to this privacy notice
We may change this privacy notice from time to time, and if we do, we will notify you by email.
The Sulphur Institute
1020 19th Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20036
Tel: +1 202.336.4165
2. What kinds of personal information about you do we process?
Personal information that we'll process in connection with all our business, if relevant, includes:
- Personal and contact details, such as your first and last name, mailing address, email address, phone number, username, or password, to facilitate your use of our website, allow you to register for email updates and other features, allow you to apply for new membership or renew your membership, and respond to your comments, questions, requests, or complaints.
- The information requested depends on the feature offered. Your participation in these features and your sharing of your personal information constitutes your agreement to such sharing. You do not need to be a TSI member to use some portions of our website, but TSI members receive access to additional areas. While you are under no obligation to provide personal information, you may not be eligible to access certain areas of the website or participate in certain features without providing such information.
- Information about the company you work for, it is important for TSI to know who a member company is and is not a member company. Certain features are only available to member companies and non-members do not have access to.
- Company postal and email address, to mail TSI topics related to sulphur, sulphuric acid, and anything else that applies.
3. What is the source of your personal information?
We will collect personal information from the following general sources:
- From you directly such as business card
- From other sources such as publicly available directories and information on the internet
4. What do we use your personal data for?
We use your personal data, including any of the personal data listed in Section 1 above, for the following purposes:
- To keep records of our communications between you and TSI
- To keep you informed by email of The Sulphur Institute business activities through a Newsletter
- To comply with legal and regulatory obligations, requirements and guidance
5. What are the legal grounds for our processing of your personal information (including when we share it with others)?
We rely on the following legal basis to use your personal data:
- Where it is needed to provide our services, such as:
a) Updating your records
b) Sharing your personal information with business partners, with your prior explicit permission
c) All stages and activities relevant to managing our service including administration and management of receipts and payments
- Where it is in our legitimate interests to do so, such as:
a) To perform our services and internal processes
b) To follow guidance and recommended best practice of government and regulatory bodies
c) For management and audit of our business operations including accounting.
- To Comply with our legal obligations
- With your Consent or explicit consent:
a) For direct marketing communications
6. When do we share your personal information with other organizations?
We may share information with the following third parties for the purposes listed above:
- Business partners, for example, Member Companies who are considering availing themselves of your expertise with explicit consent.
- Governmental and regulatory bodies as required by law.
- Other organizations and businesses who provide services to us such as, back up and server hosting providers
7. How and when can you withdraw your consent?
We are relying upon your consent to process personal data, you can withdraw this at any time by contacting us using the details below:
8. Is your personal information transferred outside the UK or the EEA?
We are based in the United States but sometimes your personal information may be transferred to the European Economic Area. If we do so, we'll make sure that suitable safeguards are in place.
9. What should you do if your personal information changes?
Please contact Sarah Amirie with updated information.
10. Do you have to provide your personal information to us?
We are unable to provide you with TSI work products, a benefit of TSI membership, if you do not provide certain information to us such as work email and phone number.
11. Do we do any monitoring involving processing of your personal information?
We will not video or audio record any meetings or conversations that we have with you. During discussions we may take hand written or typed notes which will be securely stored and only member companies will have access to through the TSI website.
12. For how long is your personal information retained by us?
Unless we explain otherwise to you, we'll hold your personal information based on the following criteria:
- If you are a Member Company
- A non-member company who requests to receive the information
- Retention periods in line with legal and regulatory requirements or guidance:
- 7 years for accounting records
- 10 years for project records.
13. What are your rights under data protection laws?
Here is a list of the rights that all individuals have under data protection laws. They don't apply in all circumstances. If you wish to use any of them, we'll explain at that time if they are engaged or not. The right of data portability is only relevant from May 2018.
- The right to be informed about the processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information corrected if it is inaccurate and to have incomplete personal information completed
- The right to object to processing of your personal information
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to have your personal information erased (the "right to be forgotten")
- The right to request access to your personal information and to obtain information about how we process it
- The right to move, copy or transfer your personal information ("data portability")
- Rights in relation to automated decision making which has a legal effect or otherwise significantly affects you
14. Your right to object
You have the right to object to certain purposes for processing, in particular to data processed for direct marketing purposes and to data processed for certain reasons based on our legitimate interests. You can contact us by going to the Contact Us section of our website to exercise these rights.
15. What are your marketing preferences and what do they mean?
We will only use your email address to contact you according to your marketing preferences. You can stop our marketing at any time by contacting us.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, you can contact us by going to the Contact Us section of our website or by email SAmirie@sulphurinstitute.org.
Updated: May, 2018
Member Perspective of TSI
TSI Member Companies have shared their perspective on the value of membership in TSI. Click here to read more.